Secure and Compliant: Using DocuWare’s Power for Information Security and Regulatory Compliance
6 min read
Strong security and compliance practices are very important for businesses in all fields. Getting and staying in compliance with regulations is important to protect your business, your clients, and your image.
DocuWare is a powerful tool that makes these jobs easier and makes sure that your business is always secure and in compliance. Let’s look at how DocuWare can help your company and why you might want to use it for information security and compliance.
Document Security and Access Control: The secure document management system from DocuWare protects private information by using encryption and access control protocols. Some important things are:
Role-based access control: Making sure that only people who are allowed to can see certain papers.
- Audit trails are a way to keep track of who has accessed, changed, or deleted a document.
Encryption: Keeping papers safe by encrypting them with AES-256 while they are at rest and while they are in transit.
- Streamlined and Compliant Workflows: DocuWare makes it possible to make workflows that are efficient, automated, and meet regulatory standards. Here are some examples of compliance-focused process features:
- Retention rules make sure that documents are kept for the length of time required by law.
Approval processes: Making sure that all of the necessary approvals are given before papers are signed off on.
- E-signature integration: Making it easier for contracts and deals to have legally binding electronic signatures.
Centralized and Organized Document Storage: DocuWare’s centralized storage system makes it easy to keep and find important papers, which is a key part of staying in compliance with regulations. Some of the perks of centralization are:
- Simplified audits by giving internal and external auditors quick access to the documents they need.
- Search functionality means that papers can be quickly found based on keywords or metadata.
- Controlling versions means avoiding confusion and making sure that the latest, approved versions of papers are always available.
Support for Regulatory Compliance: DocuWare is made to help companies meet regulatory requirements like GDPR, HIPAA, and SOX. Help with compliance includes:
- Data safety means keeping private and sensitive information safe, as required by privacy laws.
DocuWare helps groups follow the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), which is a federal law in the United States that explains how protected health information (PHI) should be protected and handled. DocuWare’s features and functions help with HIPAA compliance in a number of important ways:
- Access Control and Authentication: Role-based access control and user authentication are used by DocuWare to make sure that only your authorized people can view PHI. This meets the standards for access control (45 CFR 164.312(a)) and person or entity authentication (45 CFR 164.312(d)) in the HIPAA Security Rule.
- Audit Controls and Monitoring: DocuWare keeps full audit trails of document access, changes, and deletions. This makes it easy to see where PHI came from and where it went. This function meets the HIPAA Security Rule’s (45 CFR 164.312(b)) requirement for audit controls.
- Encryption and Data Protection: DocuWare uses strong encryption protocols like AES-256 to protect PHI both at rest and in transit. This keeps private patient data safe. This helps meet the HIPAA Security Rule’s (45 CFR 164.312(e)) standard for transmission security.
- Integrity of data and storage: DocuWare’s centralized document management system makes sure that PHI is always correct and available by keeping documents safely and stopping unauthorized changes. This meets the standards for data integrity (45 CFR 164.312(c)) and data availability (45 CFR 164.306(a)(2)) in the HIPAA Security Rule.
- Privacy and Security Policies: DocuWare’s customizable workflows and templates can help healthcare organizations create, implement, and manage privacy and security policies that are in line with the HIPAA Privacy Rule (45 CFR 164.530) and Security Rule (45 CFR 164.308).
- Business Associate Agreements (BAAs): DocuWare knows its job as a Business Associate under HIPAA as a cloud-based service provider. DocuWare is ready to sign a Business Associate Agreement (BAA) with healthcare organizations to prove that it is committed to keeping PHI safe and following HIPAA rules.
By adding DocuWare to the processes and workflows of your company, you can make a strong system for managing and protecting PHI in line with HIPAA requirements. DocuWare’s commitment to security and continued support will help you maintain and improve your compliance. This will make sure that your organization stays in line with this important healthcare rule.
Security standards: Following security requirements for your business, such as NIST and ISO 27001.
DocuWare helps organizations get in line with ISO 27001. This is a widely recognized standard for information security management systems (ISMS). It does this by offering different features and functions that make it easier to set up and maintain a strong ISMS. Here are some ways that DocuWare helps you meet ISO 27001 requirements:
- Access Control and Authentication: Role-based access control and authentication in DocuWare make sure that only authorized people can see certain information. This meets the user access control (A.9) and user responsibility (A.11) requirements of ISO 27001.
- Encryption and Data Protection: As mentioned, both at rest and in transit, DocuWare uses strong encryption methods like AES-256 to protect data. This helps companies meet the ISO 27001 requirements for cryptography (A.10) and communication security (A.13).
- Document and Record Management: DocuWare’s centralized document management system makes it easy to organize, store, and find documents, which is important for meeting ISO 27001’s standards for document control (A.7.5) and record management (A.8.1).
- Audit Trails and Monitoring: DocuWare keeps thorough audit trails of who accessed, changed, or deleted a document. This gives transparency and a way to find out what happened. This helps meet the ISO 27001 standards for monitoring, review, and audit (A.12.4) and compliance with legal, regulatory, and contractual requirements (A.18.1).
- Business Continuity Planning: DocuWare’s cloud-based infrastructure makes sure that your important documents are saved safely and can be accessed even if something unexpected happens. This meets the standards (A.17) of ISO 27001 for business continuity planning.
- Information Security Policies: DocuWare helps with the creation, implementation, and maintenance of information security policies and procedures. This helps companies meet the requirements for information security policy (A.5) and organization of information security (A.6).
- Regular Updates and Security Patches: DocuWare regularly releases updates and security patches to fix possible bugs and keep the software up-to-date and safe. This helps meet the standards (A.14) of ISO 27001 for system acquisition, development, and maintenance.
By integrating DocuWare into the processes and workflows of your company, you can build a strong foundation for an ISMS that meets ISO 27001 standards. Also, DocuWare’s dedication to security and ongoing support will help you keep up with and improve your ISMS. This will make sure that your company stays in line with this important information security standard.
Reporting features: Creating compliance records to show that rules are being followed.
Seamless Integration with Existing Systems: Because DocuWare works with popular software and platforms, your company can keep using its favorite tools while getting better security and compliance features. Some important connections are:
- Systems for Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- CRM stands for Customer Relationship Management.
- (HRIS) stands for Human Resources Information Systems.
In a world where data breaches and fines for not following the rules are becoming more common, your company can’t afford to be lax about information security and following the rules.
DocuWare gives you a complete solution that not only protects your private data but also makes your processes more efficient. This makes compliance a natural part of how you run your business every day. Don’t leave your business open to risk. Act now to protect your business with DocuWare.
Find out how DocuWare can change the way your company handles information protection and regulatory compliance. Contact the experts at Novatech team to set up a custom demo and learn how you can use DocuWare’s powerful features to easily achieve and keep compliance.