Print Security 101: Safeguarding Your Confidential Information Utilizing Print Security Software
4 min read
In today’s computerized business environment, data security has become a concern for businesses in all industries. While much attention is given to securing digital assets, it’s essential not to overlook the potential vulnerabilities presented by print environments.
The mishandling of printed documents or compromising a copier or printing device can lead to data breaches, compliance violations, and significant financial and reputational damage. As a leading, nationwide, Managed Office provider, Novatech understands the critical importance of print security and protecting your sensitive information.
In this article, we will explore the fundamentals of print security and how Novatech utilizes advanced software solutions to keep client’s data safe and compliant.
Understanding Print Security
Print security refers to the steps taken to protect sensitive and confidential information throughout the print workflow. It encompasses a range of practices and technologies designed to mitigate the risks associated with printed documents and the devices used for copying and printing. Here are some key aspects to consider while evaluating your print strategy:
- Document Confidentiality: Confidential information can easily be compromised if printed documents are left unattended or fall into the wrong hands. Proper document handling practices, such as secure printing, and document release mechanisms such as a card reader, help ensure that sensitive information is only accessible to authorized individuals.
- Device Security: Printing devices, including multifunction printers (MFPs), can be vulnerable entry points to cyberattacks and phishing attempts. It’s crucial to implement security measures, such as user authentication, device access controls, and firmware updates, to prevent unauthorized access and potential data breaches.
- Network Protection: Printers are often connected to the network, creating potential points of entry for hackers. Implementing network security measures, such as firewalls, encryption, FollowMe printing, and secure network protocols, helps safeguard against unauthorized access and data interception.
- Print Management Solutions: Advanced print management software like Canon’s uniFLOW, plays a crucial role in print security software. Applications like uniFLOW provides centralized control and monitoring of printing activities, ensuring compliance, detecting anomalies, and enforcing security policies across the print environment.
Novatech’s Approach to Print Security
As a nationwide managed office provider, we utilize state-of-the-art software solutions designed to safeguard clients’ confidential information and ensure compliance with industry regulations.
Here are some ways Novatech addresses print security for our clients:
- Secure Print Release: When required, Novatech implements secure print release solutions that require user authentication at the device before documents can be printed. This prevents sensitive information from being left unattended in paper trays, reducing the risk of unauthorized access or data breaches.
- User Authentication: Novatech’s print management service paired with the right document software, enables user authentication at the device, ensuring that only authorized individuals can access printing functionalities. This helps prevent the unauthorized use of printing devices and protects against unauthorized document retrieval.
- Document Tracking and Auditing: Novatech’s software solutions provide comprehensive document tracking and auditing capabilities. This allows businesses to monitor print activities, track who printed specific documents, from which devices, and identify any suspicious or unauthorized print jobs.
- Print Policy Enforcement: Novatech assists clients in establishing print policies tailored to their specific security requirements. These policies can include restrictions on color printing, limitations on document storage and retention, and rules regarding confidential document handling. Novatech’s software solutions enforce these policies, ensuring compliance and mitigating the risk of data breaches.
- Firmware Updates and Patch Management: Novatech regularly updates printing device firmware and applies necessary patches to address known vulnerabilities. This proactive approach helps protect against emerging threats and ensures that devices remain secure and up to date.
- Network Security Integration: Novatech works closely with clients to integrate their print environment securely into the overall network infrastructure. This includes implementing network security measures, such as firewalls, encryption, and secure network protocols, to protect against unauthorized access and data interception.
- Ongoing Monitoring and Support: Novatech provides 24/7/365 monitoring and support to ensure the security of our clients’ print environments. This includes real-time monitoring of print activities, proactive threat detection, and timely response to security incidents or vulnerabilities.
Safeguarding sensitive and confidential information throughout the print workflow is crucial to prevent data breaches, maintain compliance, and protect the organization’s reputation. As a nationwide managed office provider, Novatech recognizes the significance of print security and utilizes advanced software solutions to keep client’s data safe and compliant.
By implementing secure print practices, user authentication, document tracking, and policy enforcement, Novatech helps businesses mitigate risks, strengthen print security, and achieve peace of mind.
In today’s interconnected world, where data breaches are becoming increasingly common, investing in robust print security measures is no longer optional but a necessity. By partnering with Novatech, businesses can leverage their expertise and advanced software solutions to fortify their print environments and protect their confidential information from potential threats.
Contact us today to discuss implementing a print strategy for your organization or scheduling your printer assessment.